Millet, carrots, beets, apples and some greens. What else would you need in a salad? Oh yeah, a creamy almond dressing with some fresh chillies. Enjoy my millet and carrot salad!
Happy New Year! I took a short break from my blog during the holidays, but now I’m back.
We abandoned our pretty decorated home to spend some crazy holidays with our friends in a mountain cottage near Velika planina. For my non-Slovenian readers: If you ever come to Slovenia it is absolutely necessary to go see Velika planina. In the late spring I like to rent a cottage up there together with my friends and spend a few days off in the stunning nature. This year we were lucky to be there when the shepherds were bringing cows up to the mountain. It’s a very ineresting day. You can see cows walking on their own from the valley and shepherds bring cows up on their trailers. It’s a very lively sight! Plus I love this place for picking wild herbs.
Me and my husband absolutely love millet. And by love I mean can’t go without it. So I created this beautiful millet and carrot salad with a nice and creamy spicy almond dressing. For an additional kick and sweetnes I added beetroot and apples and fresh baby salad leaves for some freshness. It’s a quite filling salad, perfect in this winter weather.
Note that the beetroot in this recipe is raw. I know many people don’t like raw beetroot, but if you slice it very thinly it doesn’t have such a powerful earthy taste. I happen to love the earthy taste, but if you are sure you can stand it, you can roast the beetroot before adding it to the salad. Just wrap it in foil and bake for an hour at 200 °C (400 °F). See more instructions on The Kitchn.
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 big carrot
- 1 medium size beetroot
- 2 medium size green apples (Choose a juicy and sour type. I'm using Granny Smith.)
- 4 handfuls baby leaf salad (like lettuce, chard, rocket or any other)
- 1 cup almonds soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp chopped chilli pepper (I'm using a bigger medium-hot chilli pepper)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Boil 2 cups of water and pour it to a small pot. Add millet and salt and stir. Set your stove to low heat and cover the pot. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes, checking every now and then, but not stirring. If the millet is still not tender add a little more boiling water and cook a few more minutes. When it is soft remove from the heat, transfer it to the serving plate or bowl and leave to cool a little.
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing (Instructions below) and cut the carrot and beetroot into very thin slices. Cut apples into 1 cm cubes.
- When the millet has cooled a little, mix in carrot, beetroot and apples. Top with fresh baby salad and dressing.
- Rinse the almonds.
- Put lemon juice, water, chilli pepper, salt and black pepper into a blender and mix until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
- You can do the same dressing with any other nuts. I like almonds and cashews, because they are sweet and go really well with millet.
- If the millet is hot when you add the baby salad leaves, they will wilt, so make sure it is warm or even cool.