Even if you hate beets you’re gonna love these soft beet chocolate cupcakes with some honey cream cheese frosting on top!
Ah, yes. The beet chocolate cupcakes… I love using fruit and veggies for a the liquid substite in muffins and cupcakes. Remember the Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting? I used pumpkin there, but here I’m using beets 😀
Fruit and veggie purées make cupcakes so soft and moist and in my experience they last longer before going dry. So perfect for baking them in advance 🙂
I know they don’t look very Christmasy, but hey… chocolate… who doesn’t love anything with chocolate on Christmas 🙂 or at any other time for that matter 😛
This Christmas I’m off cooking duty. We’re invited to my mum and dad’s on Christmas Eve and to my husband’s relatives on Christmas Day. Although I obviously love cooking it feels nice not having to prepare tons of food. We’ll only be making the traditional nut roll, everything else is done already. And then I can rest and enjoy the holidays!
I’ve been feeling very well these last couple of months, but pregnancy does a take some toll on my energy. Working hard these days before Christmas I think me and the little one deserve a little time off 😀 Thank god for mums!
Okay, back to the cupcakes!
You can actually make any other frosting if you prefer something else, but I’m a big fan of cream cheese frosting and honey. So I joined those two and I love how great the this sweet and sour frosting pairs with the earthy chocolaty taste of the beet chocolate cupcakes.
Yup, good life!
Let’s do some baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP sunflower oil
- 2 cups beetroot purée
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 200 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 150 g soft butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 TBSP icing sugar
- 3 TBSP honey
- Beet Chocolate Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 170 °C.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, vanilla and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of the electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, blend toogether the eggyolks, brown sugar and sunflower oil on a medium speed until well combined.
- Add beetroot purée and lemon juice and blend again.
- Keep your mixer on medium speed and slowly add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture.
- In a separate bowl (using a clean whisk attachment or a handmixer) whip eggwhites and a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the eggwhites into the batter until well combined.
- Divide the batter among 20 paper lined muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the baking pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Honey Cream Cheese Frosting: To make the frosting, take crwam cheese, soft butter and vanilla and beat until the mixuture becomes fluffy and has a much lighter color.
- Gradually add icing sugar and honey and mix until well combined.
- If the frosting looks too runny, rerigirate it until it has the right consistency.
- Assembly: When the cupcakes have cooled completely, spread the frosting over them and sift over some cocoa powder.
- To make homemade beetroot purée you can either purée cooked or roasted beetroot. For roasting I'm wrapping whole beetroot in foil and remove the skin afterwards.