After you see how easy it is to make tomato ketchup at home, you’ll never want to buy it in the store again. It takes so little time and almost no effort.
I used to be a ketchup addict and I mean every word. I could eat it on bread without anything else until my mouth was burning from all the sugar and acid. Then one day I realised that it is actually junk food, so I stopped eating it. But of course, pretty soon I was craving it again, so I decided to make my own using whatever was in my pantry.
There are a lot of different ketchup recipes out there, from the ones that only use garlic and onion, to the ones that use a variety of spices. There are some that use fresh tomatoes, to the ones that use canned and dried tomatoes. This recipe is using lots of spices and tomato purée, because I want ketchup to be done in mintues. When I need my ketchup, I need it immediately! 🙂
For me the key ingredient in homemade tomato ketchup is clove. It adds a deep, sweet aroma. But, you really need to be careful, because too much of it can make your ketchup tarty.
The trick here is to leave the tomato purée uncovered while it is cooking, so it can thicken quickly. And you’ll want to stir it constantly, otherwise you’ll have a messy kitchen and you can get burned.
- 700 g tomato purée
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg to taste
- pinch of black pepper to taste
- 3-4 TBSP honey
- Put the tomato purée in a pan and add the rest of the ingredients except honey.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until the ketchup has thickened to about two thirds.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for about 5 minutes, then add honey and stir well.
- Keep in mind that ketchup will thicken a little when it cools down and it will taste sweeter.
PRINT THIS HOMEMADE TOMATO KETCHUP RECIPE AND MAKE YOUR PERSONALIZED USE YOUR NOODLES COOKBOOK
(Right click – Open image in new tab