The amazing colours come from squeezing lemon juice into the delicious red cabbage soup.
I’m waiting for snow to fall again. Until that happens I have to settle with cold and sunshine, which I like almost as much as snow. In good weather like this we all deserve a healthy and colourful meal like I’m about to show you – a rainbow cabbage soup.
I’m so happy to be sharing this recipe with you. Red cabbage is in season right now, so there’s lots everywhere. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals. And according to Science Daily it promotes heart and brain health and protects us from cancer. So yay for us cabbage lovers and the ones who will become cabbage lovers after tasting this soup. I feel like red cabbage is so underrated. Here in Slovenia we eat it mostly braised a side dish or in salads. But it is magnificent in a soup as well. The rainbow cabbage soup is quick and simple and sooo delicious. Squeezing in few drops of lemon juice gives it wonderful vibrant rainbow colour. When I first tried squeezing lemon on this soup I was pleasantly surprised by this amazing reaction. I realised that it is not just super tasty but also fun. And that’s the point of cooking. To have lot’s of fun!
- 1 medium size cabbage (400g)
- 1 big onion
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 TBSP lard
- 1 tsp fresh citrus thyme leaves
- 4 lemon wedges
- Chop the onion into small pieces. Melt lard in a medium size pot and add the chopped onion. Fry the onion until it gets golden and translucent.
- Meanwhile cut the cabbage in half and then into thin slices. Add them in the pot. Add the hot water and thyme.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
- Remove from the stove. Put everything in a blender, add milk, salt and pepper and mix well. Taste for seasoning before serving.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice onto the soup for the wonderful colour.
Also try this easy 5 minute soup: