Perfectly refreshnig comfort summer drinks red currant, orange and mint mojitos!
Let’s have a drink!
I’m having one for sure. Hopefully, tomorrow my splint is coming off and that’s a big reason for celebration. It’s about time, I’m not really fond of walking on three legs 😛
So join me for a glass of delicious summer cocktail. One sip and you won’t be able to stop.
We love hanging out on our balcony listening to the birds in the cherry tree, playing board games, eating scrumptious chocolate brownies and drinking refreshing fruity drinks. One of our favorite summer drinks is mojito. In any form. We usually drink a traditional lime and mint mojitos, but sometimes we make some changes. Like adding other seasonal fruit.
There’s a big bush of red currants behind the house, full of perfectly sweet and sour tiny fruits 🙂 So I replaced lime with red currant and got a super delicious and refreshing mojito. I added some freshly squeezed orange for some sweetness and the citrusy taste. The combo of red currant and orange is not something I’ve tried before, but I must admit they make a wonderful pair.
Mental note to self – make cookies!
What I like about this cocktail recipe is the colour. If you’ve seen my other recipes, you’ve probably guessed that I like my food colourful 🙂 and seasonal 🙂
To make these lip-smacking red currant, orange and mint mojitos all you need is some fresh fruit, a bottle of rum, sparkling water and mint. And of course lots of ice!
The recipe calls for fresh red currants, that you blend into a puree, which means you keep all of the goodies from the fruit. If you don’t mind about the little seeds, you don’t need to strain the puree.
Now, let’s get the party started!
I’d love to hear what your favorite summer drink is. Write it in the comments below 🙂
- 2 cups red currants, stems removed
- 2 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups white rum
- 3 cups sparkling water
- 2 tsp unrefined cane sugar (Optional)
- handful of mint
- abundance of crushed ice
- 1/4 cup red currants
- 4 mint springs
- In a blender, blend red currants to get a pureé.
- Use a muddler to crush mint to release the mint oils. Add 2 TBSP orange juice and unrefined cane sugar and muddle a little more.
- Divide red currant pureé into 4 glasses, add ice, mint mixture, remaining orange juice, white rum and sparkling water.
- Decorate and serve immediately.
- Mocktail version: Replace rum with orange juice.