A cold grapefruit-lime cocktail with ginger and rosemary to take you to your favourite beach!
Have you ever sat down in a nice cozy chair on a sandy beach somewhere far far away, having a waiter bringing you a cocktail whenever you ran out of the previous one. If your answer is YES – you’ve got my admiration and a bit of jealousy 😉 . I haven’t done that yet, but it is on my THINGS-TO-DO-BEFORE-I-DIE LIST. Until then, I’m making my own coctails, or if I’m feeling extra adventurous, I’ll go out and order a mojito!
This cocktail I’m showing you today is not a mojito, but it also contains white rum. Yum, right?
Well, being a fan of sunny days and cold drinks, it’s kinda hard to watch out of my window. You guessed it right – it’s raining. Blah…
Luckily, I have a whole fridge of these delicious grapefruit-lime coctails in my fridge.
Let me tell you, where the hidden trick is. It’s all in the ginger and rosemery syrup. It’s a syrup that you can prepare in advance and keep in the fridge for a week, so you’ll have it on hand, whenever you feel like having a drink. It’s a pretty simple syrup. You boil the water with ginger and rosemary let steep and add some honey.
I’m not a fan of super sweet cocktails, unless that’s because of the actual sweetness of the fruit. I normally use honey or unrefined cane sugar, because I love how they make everything taste caramely.
Why do I love this recipe so much? Because it is as delicious in a mocktail version as in the one shown in the recipe. Simply omit white rum or replace it with sparkling water and you got yourself an everyday treat!
Are you thirsty already? I sure am! 🙂
- big chunk of ginger (~30g)
- 10 small rosemary stems (~10g)
- 4 TBSP honey
- 2 cups freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup ginger and rosemary syrup
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup white rum
- abundance of crushed ice
- 4 stems of rosemary
- a slice of pink grapefruit, cut in quarters
- Ginger and rosemary syrup: Cut ginger in thin slices and vigorously roll rosemary between your hands. Place them in a smal saucepan and add 1 cup of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then remove from heat and leave to steep for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add honey.
- Grapefruit-Lime Coctail: Pour grapefruit and lime juices in 4 glasses. Add ice, almost to the top of the glass. Pour over the ginger and rosemary syrup, and white rum.
- Decorate with stems of rosemary and slices of grapefruit.
- The recipe for the syrup is for 4 glasses. If you are making a batch, you can multiply it.
- Mocktail version: Omit the white rum or replace it with sparkling water.