This scrumptious, flavor-filled teriyaki eggplant is going to wake up your taste buds.
Teriyaki Eggplant. We are going Japanese today. Well, not exactly. I’m not gonna lie. This recipe is not a super authentic teriyaki recipe. After all the star of the dish is eggplant instead of meat of fish.
But it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the next day for breakfast, lunch… I think you get the point 😀
Teriyaki is actually a method of cooking in Japan, but here we know it more as a type of sauce mainly made with soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar. Teriyaki is made by marinating or basted meat or fish wit teriyaki sauce and then grilled, roasted or broiled. This gives the dish a nice shine, which we all like, right?
You could basically use whatever veggie you like. To me eggplant is one of the most meat-like vegetable there is. If you’ve never grilled it outside in the summer, please try it, you won’t regret it.
One of my favourite thing about this recipe is adding plum wine. Aaaah, the smell 🙂 I’m giggling, from the alcohol in the air. No, really, I’ve tried making eggplant with soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, but adding plum wine was a winner for me.
On the more personal note, I’m busy making promo material for the new dance show we’re making with my lovely fellow ladies from Tribal Bizzare Dance Troupe. It’s gonna premiere in May. We had our photoshoot more than two weeks ago and now I finnaly have some time to work on those photos. Happy me.
Now, let’s roll up our sleeves and get to work!
- 2 big eggplants
- 1 big onion
- 4 TBSP coconut oil + extra if necessary
- 3 TBSP sesame oil
- 3 TBSP plum wine
- 3 TBSP teriyaki sauce
- chopped parsley to taste
- chopped chilli to taste
- salt to taste
- Chop onion and eggplant into 1 cm cubes.
- In a big pan fry onion on the coconut oil until it gets traslucent.
- Add sesame oil and eggplant. Fry for 5 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. Add extra coconut oil if necessary.
- Add teriyaki sauce. Stirring all the time, fry the eggplants for 2-3 minutes until they get a nice golden color.
- Add plum wine and cook untill the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the stove and add salt if necessary.
- Top with chopped parsley and sesame seeds and serve hot with cooked rice.
PRINT THIS TERIYAKI EGGPLANT WITH PLUM WINE RECIPE AND MAKE YOUR PERSONALIZED USE YOUR NOODLES COOKBOOK
(Right click – Open image in new tab