This light and fresh strawberry layer cake is a perfect healthy indulgence for the sunny spring days!
First thing that comes to my mind when I think of spring is fresh fruit. Strawberries and cherries to be exact. Red is one of my favourite colours. So passionate and warm. So for this spring dessert the choise was quite obvious – strawberries.
A few weeks ago first slovenian culinary & lifestyle magazine Redegunda asked me to make a reinterpretation of a traditional Slovenian dessert. Now, if you recall me mentioning that Slovenian cuisine is mostly heavy with lots of carbs and fats, you’ll imagine it’s not easy making a light dish. I took traditional Slovenian dessert prekmurska gibanica (which is delicios by the way!) and made it into a lighter fresher and healthier dessert that you can make very quickly with almost no cooking.
Prekmurska gibanica is a layer cake has 4 layers, with phyllo pastry between them:
- poppy seed layer
- cottage cheese layer
- wallnut layes
- apple layer
I kept the four layers, but changed the ingredients quite a bit. Instead of cottage cheese I used honey and greek style yoghurt. I replaced wallnuts with hazelnuts and almonds and roasted them to make a crumble. Since it is almost spring I ditched the apples and added some fresh strawberries. That’s it. Soooo simple, but even more delicious 😀 Plus, you can showcase your lovely glassware!
Now let’s enjoy the Easter holidays, get the dishes dirty and have a strawberry layer cake!
- 75 g hazelnuts
- 45 g ground almonds
- 20 g butter
- 50 g / 3 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 145 g ground poppy seeds
- 100 g / 6 TBSP honey
- 180 ml milk
- 300 g strawberries
- 400 g Greek style yoghurt
- 65 g / 4 TBSP honey
- Hazelnut layer: Chop the hazelnuts coarely. In a skillet fry chopped hazelnuts, ground wallnuts, butter, honey and thyme for a couple of minutes, until they become golden. Stir every 10 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir for another minute, then transfer the mixture to a big plate and lay it out evenly. Wait until it cools down.
- Poppy seed layer: Boil milk and pour it over poppy seeds. Add honey and mix well.
- Strawberry layer: Cut strawberries into very small pieces of aprox. 0,5 cm.
- Yoghurt layer: Add honey to yoghurt and mix well. If you are using crystallized honey, melt it over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Assembly: Take six 2 dl glasses and divide half of the poppy seed mixture on the bottom. Continue with half of the strawberries, yoghurt and hazelnuts mixture. Continue with the other half of the mixutres.
- Serve immediately or cool in the fridge and serve later.